Re: pg_standby observation

От Erik Jones
Тема Re: pg_standby observation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sep 13, 2007, at 1:38 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:

> I think it would be useful if pg_standby (in version 8.3 contrib)
> could
> be observed in some way.
>
> Right now I use my own standby script, because every time it runs, it
> touches a file in a known location. That allows me to monitor that
> file,
> and if it is too stale, I know something must have gone wrong (I
> have an
> archive_timeout set), and I can send an SNMP trap.
>
> Would it be useful to add something similar to pg_standby? Is there a
> better way to detect a problem with a standby system, or a more
> appropriate place?
>
> The postgres logs do report this also, but it requires more care to
> properly intercept the "restored log file ... from archive" messages.
>
> Regards,
>     Jeff Davis

If you include the -d option pg_standby will emit logging info on
stderr so you can tack on something like 2>> logpath/standby.log.
What it is lacking, however, is timestamps in the output when it
successfully recovers a WAL file.  Was there something more ou were
looking for?

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com