case folding and postgres

От emf
Тема case folding and postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

I have a project I'm moving from mysql to postgresql. It has both a
fair amount of code and a moderate amount of data. In MySQL the
identifiers are all MixedCase, but the query strings are never quoted.

I would like to change the default behaviour of postgresql to not fold
the case to lower. If I change scansup.c 's
downcase_truncate_identifier() to not lowercase identifiers, will I
break anything (other than case insensitivity?)

Furthermore, is there any way I could package this patch such that it
would be accepted? A suggestion I received from #postgresql was to
implement upper casing, lower casing, and leave-it-alone casing and to
have a per-db setting for that. Another approach I wouldn't mind adding
is a start-time option.

Thank you for CCing me, as I am not subbed to postgresql-hackers list.
--
nothing can happen inside a sphere
that you could not inscribe upon it.