[PERFORM] Fwd: [pgsql-performance] Daily digest v1.4804 (8 messages)

От Valerii Valeev
Тема [PERFORM] Fwd: [pgsql-performance] Daily digest v1.4804 (8 messages)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Alex,

sorry, I missed your response somehow, got it only with today’s digest.

Thanks for the hint. I have basic idea how to investigate query perf issues.
I thought maybe I miss some understanding of the grounds.
It’ll take some time to get enough test data and I’ll try to take a look myself and come back after that.

Regards,
Val.

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer@spamfence.net>
Subject: Re: why we do not create indexes on master
Date: Dec 27 2016 19:04:27 GMT+3

Valerii Valeev <valerii.valeev@mail.ru> wrote:

Dear colleagues,

can anyone please explain, why we do not create indexes on master?
In my case master / child design blindly follows partitioning guide https://
www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/ddl-partitioning.html.
My collaborator was unhappy with performance of queries over master table with
filtering by one of fields

SELECT * FROM “master" WHERE “field" BETWEEN x AND y

(there are indexes for “field” on child tables).
He has created index on master once and found that the query returns 100x
faster.

please show us explain analyse with/without index on master.

Regards, Andreas Kretschmer
--
Andreas Kretschmer
http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/