Re: performace review

От Alexander Staubo
Тема Re: performace review
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Oct 7, 2006, at 20:06 , Tomi NA wrote:

> I was just reading http://www.opencrx.org/faq.htm where RDBMS engines
> are one of the questions and see pgsql bashed sentence after sentence.
> Can anyone offer any insight as to weather it's fact or FUD?

As with any use of a database, it is useless and/or impossible to
evaluate blanket statements about performance without also evaluating
the application's use of the database. One person's slow join may be
another person's fast join.

Also, note how that the FAQ says that "the default distribution of
openCRX includes some indexes", implying that the schema must be
adapted to one's database to achieve adequate performance. The FAQ
does not mention whether the cited scaling limits include any
attempts at tuning PostgreSQL.

I don't see PostgreSQL being "bashed sentence after sentence",
however -- the two "known limitations" listed for PostgreSQL are
"slow (even for small datasets)" and "jokes [sic] on 3-table-joins"
-- and among the open-source databases mentioned, PostgreSQL is
described as scaling the highest.

With a running OpenCRX installation you could turn on PostgreSQL's
query logging to identify slow queries or bad query patterns. I'm
sure both the open-source communities would appreciate the feedback.

Alexander.