Authentication problem - password and authentication for user postgres is failing.

От Carol Walter
Тема Authentication problem - password and authentication for user postgres is failing.
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hello...
and thank you for your help!

I can't be the only one to whom this has happened.  I just set up a new postgreSQL server on a Mac that is running OS
10.6.8. I was using an image that I downloaded from EnterpriseDB.  I ran the set up and all was well, I thought, so I
triedto start psql.  It gave me all the prompts and when I put in the user postgres, it prompted for the password.
WhenI put in the password, it told me that the authentication failed.  I know what I intended the password to be and I
havetyped every permutation of that password I can think of and nothing works.  The only think that I can think is that
Isomehow "fat fingered" the password and I don't have a ghost of a chance to figure out what it is now.  Is there a way
thatI can reset the password?  I had the same result when I tried to connect to the database using pgAdmin.

Actually, I don't even know if Postgres started.

Carol