Re: Can't get Dell PE T420 (Perc H710) perform better than a MacMini with PostgreSQL

От Pietro Pugni
Тема Re: Can't get Dell PE T420 (Perc H710) perform better than a MacMini with PostgreSQL
Дата
Ответ на Re: Can't get Dell PE T420 (Perc H710) perform better than a MacMini with PostgreSQL  (Ilya Kosmodemiansky <ilya.kosmodemiansky@postgresql-consulting.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Ilya,
thank your for your response.
Both system were configured for each test I’ve done. On T420 I’ve optimized the kernel following the official Postgres documentation ( http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/kernel-resources.html ):
kernel.shmmax=68719476736
kernel.shmall=16777216
vm.overcommit_memory=2
vm.overcommit_ratio=90

RAID controllers were configured as following:
- Write cache: WriteBack
- Read cache: ReadAhead
- Disk cache (only T420): disabled to take full advantage of WriteBack cache (BBU is charged and working)
- NCQ (only MacMini because it’s a SATA option): enabled (this affects a lot the overall performance)

For postgresql.conf:

T420
Normal operations
autovacuum = on
maintenance_work_mem = 512MB
work_mem = 512MB
wal_buffers = 64MB
effective_cache_size = 64GB # this helps A LOT in disk write speed when creating indexes
shared_buffers = 32GB
checkpoint_segments = 2000
checkpoint_completion_target = 1.0
effective_io_concurrency = 0 # 1 doesn’t make any substantial difference
max_connections = 10 # 20 doesn’t make any difference

Data loading (same as above with the following changes):
autovacuum = off
maintenance_work_mem = 64GB

MacMini
Normal operations
autovacuum = on
maintenance_work_mem = 128MB
work_mem = 32MB
wal_buffers = 32MB
effective_cache_size = 800MB
shared_buffers = 512MB
checkpoint_segments = 32
checkpoint_completion_target = 1.0
effective_io_concurrency = 1
max_connections = 20

Data loading (same as above with the following changes):
autovacuum = off
maintenance_work_mem = 6GB

Best regards,
 Pietro