Re: PassDownLimitBound for ForeignScan/CustomScan

От Kouhei Kaigai
Тема Re: PassDownLimitBound for ForeignScan/CustomScan
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 7:25 AM, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com> wrote:
>

>     Hello,
>
>     The attached patch adds an optional callback to support special optimization
>     if ForeignScan/CustomScan are located under the Limit node in plan-tree.
>
>     Our sort node wisely switches the behavior when we can preliminary know
>     exact number of rows to be produced, because all the Sort node has to
>     return is the top-k rows when it is located under the Limit node.
>     It is much lightweight workloads than sorting of entire input rows when
>     nrows is not small.
>
>     In my case, this information is very useful because GPU can complete its
>     sorting operations mostly on L1-grade memory if we can preliminary know
>     the top-k value is enough small and fits to size of the fast memory.
>
>     Probably, it is also valuable for Fujita-san's case because this information
>     allows to attach "LIMIT k" clause on the remote query of postgres_fdw.
>     It will reduce amount of the network traffic and remote CPU consumption
>     once we got support of sort pushdown.
>

>     One thing we need to pay attention is cost estimation on the planner stage.
>     In the existing code, only create_ordered_paths() and
> create_merge_append_path()
>     considers the limit clause for cost estimation of sorting. They use the
>     'limit_tuples' of PlannerInfo; we can reference the structure when extension
>     adds ForeignPath/CustomPath, so I think we don't need a special enhancement
>     on the planner stage.

Thanks for your comments.

> I believe this hook is gets called at execution time.
> So to push LIMIT clause like you said above we should use "limit_tuples" at the time
> of planning and then use this hook to optimize at runtime, right?

Yes. For more correctness, a valid "limit_tuples" of PlannerInfo is set only when
LIMIT clause takes constant values; it is true for most of use case.
Then, the hook I added shall be called at execution time for more exact optimization.

If FDW/CSP cannot accept uncertain number of rows to generate on planning time,
it is not a duty to provide its own path which is optimized for small number of
LIMIT clause.

> Apart from that, attached patch applies cleanly on latest sources and found no issues
> with make or with regressions.
>
> However this patch is an infrastructure for any possible optimization when
> foreign/customscan is under LIMIT.
>
> So look good to me.
>
> I quickly tried adding a hook support in postgres_fdw, and it gets called correctly
> when we have foreignscan with LIMIT (limit being evaluated on local server).
>
> So code wise no issue. Also add this hook details in documentation.

OK, I'll try to write up some detailed documentation stuff; not only API specification.

Best regards,

От: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki"
Сообщение: Re: [bug fix] Cascading standby cannot catch up and get stuck emitting the same message repeatedly
От: Amit Kapila
Сообщение: Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers