Re: CustomScan in a larger structure (RE: CustomScan support on readfuncs.c)

От Kouhei Kaigai
Тема Re: CustomScan in a larger structure (RE: CustomScan support on readfuncs.c)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 5:27 AM, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com> wrote:
> > I'm now implementing. The above design perfectly works on ForeignScan.
> > On the other hands, I'd like to have deeper consideration for CustomScan.
> >
> > My recent patch adds LibraryName and SymbolName on CustomScanMethods
> > to lookup the method table even if library is not loaded yet.
> > However, this ExtensibleNodeMethods relies custom scan provider shall
> > be loaded, by parallel infrastructure, prior to the deserialization.
> > It means extension has a chance to register itself as well.
> >
> > My idea is, redefine CustomScanMethod as follows:
> >
> > typedef struct ExtensibleNodeMethods
> > {
> >     const char *extnodename;
> >     Size        node_size;
> >     Node     *(*nodeCopy)(const Node *from);
> >     bool      (*nodeEqual)(const Node *a, const Node *b);
> >     void      (*nodeOut)(struct StringInfoData *str, const Node *node);
> >     void      (*nodeRead)(Node *node);
> > } ExtensibleNodeMethods;
> >
> > typedef struct CustomScanMethods
> > {
> >     union {
> >         const char *CustomName;
> >         ExtensibleNodeMethods  xnode;
> >     };
> >     /* Create execution state (CustomScanState) from a CustomScan plan node
> */
> >     Node       *(*CreateCustomScanState) (struct CustomScan *cscan);
> > } CustomScanMethods;
> >
> > It allows to pull CustomScanMethods using GetExtensibleNodeMethods
> > by CustomName; that is alias of extnodename in ExtensibleNodeMethods.
> > Thus, we don't need to care about LibraryName and SymbolName.
> >
> > This kind of trick is not needed for ForeignScan because all the pointer
> > stuff are reproducible by catalog, however, method table of CustomScan
> > is not.
> >
> > How about your opinion?
>
> Anonymous unions are not C89, so this is a no-go.
>
> I think we should just drop CustomName and replace it with
> ExtensibleNodeMethods.  That will break things for third-party code
> that is using the existing CustomScan stuff, but there's a good chance
> that nobody other than you has written any such code.  And even if
> someone has, updating it for this change will not be very difficult.

Thanks, I have same opinion.
At this moment, CustomName is not utilized so much except for EXPLAIN
and debug output, so it is not a hard stuff to replace this field by
extnodename, even if custom scan provider does not have own structure
thus no callbacks of node operations are defined.

The attached patch adds 'extnodename' fields on ForeignPath and
ForeignScan, also embeds ExtensibleNodeMethods in CustomPathMethods,
CustomScanMethods and CustomExecMethods.

Its handlers in copyfuncs.c were enhanced to utilize the callback
to allocate a larger structure and copy private fields.
Handlers in outfuncs.c and readfuncs.c have to be symmetric. The
core backend writes out 'extnodename' prior to any private fields,
then we can identify the callback to process rest of tokens for
private fields.

RegisterExtensibleNodeMethods() tracks a pair of 'extnodename'
and ExtensibleNodeMethods itself. It saves the pointer of the
method table, but not duplicate, because _readCustomScan()
cast the method pulled by 'extnodename' thus registered table
has to be a static variable on extension; that means extension
never update ExtensibleNodeMethods once registered.

The one other patch is my test using PG-Strom, however, I didn't
have a test on FDW extensions yet.

Thanks,
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>

Вложения