Re: ctidscan as an example of custom-scan (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)

От Kouhei Kaigai
Тема Re: ctidscan as an example of custom-scan (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

The ctidscan is originally designed to validate the behavior of custom-scan
interface, so it is natural this module is valuable in limited cased.

However, I don't think that anything valuable usually takes core code
enhancement and/or new hooks, because we already have various extensions
around core code that utilizes existing infrastructures (even though its
specifications may be changed on major version up).
At least, custom-scan enables to implement edge-features which are not
easy to merge the core because of various reasons; like dependency to
proprietary library, too experimental features, too large code to review
as minimum valuable portion and so on.

> (BTW, if we care about the use cases this has, such as data recovery from
> partially-corrupt tables, it would make way more sense and take way less
> net new code to just teach TidScan about it.)

What I discussed with Hanada-san before was, a custom-scan provider that
replaces a particular relations join by simple scan of materialized-view
transparently. It is probably one other use case. Its design is in my
brain, but time for development is missing piece for me.

Thanks,
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>

От: Haribabu Kommi
Сообщение: Re: optimizing vacuum truncation scans
От: Kouhei Kaigai
Сообщение: Re: ctidscan as an example of custom-scan (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)