Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)

От Kouhei Kaigai
Тема Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> [...]
>     to substitute a scan for a join, is interesting to think about, even
>     though it's likely to be handled by a new FDW method instead of via
>     the hook.  Where should the FDW method get called from?  Currently,
>     the FDW method in KaiGai's patch is GetForeignJoinPaths, and that gets
>     called from add_paths_to_joinrel().  The patch at
>     http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEZqfEfy7p=uRpwN-Q-NNgzb8kwHbf
> qF82YSb9ztFZG7zN64Xw@mail.gmail.com
>     uses that to implement join pushdown in postgres_fdw; if you have A
>     JOIN B JOIN C all on server X, we'll notice that the join with A and B
>     can be turned into a foreign scan on A JOIN B, and similarly for A-C
>     and B-C.  Then, if it turns out that the cheapest path for A-B is the
>     foreign join, and the cheapest path for C is a foreign scan, we'll
>     arrive at the idea of a foreign scan on A-B-C, and we'll realize the
>     same thing in each of the other combinations as well.  So, eventually
>     the foreign join gets pushed down.
>
>     But there's another possible approach: suppose that
>     join_search_one_level, after considering left-sided and right-sided
>     joins and after considering bushy joins, checks whether every relation
>     it's got is from the same foreign server, and if so, asks that foreign
>     server whether it would like to contribute any paths. Would that be
>     better or worse?  A disadvantage is that if you've got something like
>     A LEFT JOIN B LEFT JOIN C LEFT JOIN D LEFT JOIN E LEFT JOIN F LEFT
>     JOIN G LEFT JOIN H LEFT JOIN I but none of the joins can be pushed
>     down (say, each join clause calls a non-pushdown-safe function) you'll
>     end up examining a pile of joinrels - at every level of the join tree
>     - and individually rejecting each one.  With the
>     build-it-up-incrementally approach, you'll figure that all out at
>     level 2, and then after that there's nothing to do but give up
>     quickly.  On the other hand, I'm afraid the incremental approach might
>     miss a trick: consider small LEFT JOIN (big INNER JOIN huge ON big.x =
>     huge.x) ON small.y = big.y AND small.z = huge.z, where all three are
>     foreign tables on the same server.  If the output of the big/huge join
>     is big, none of those paths are going to survive at level 2, but the
>     overall join size might be very small, so we surely want a chance to
>     recover at level 3.  (We discussed test cases of this form quite a bit
>     in the context of e2fa76d80ba571d4de8992de6386536867250474.)
>

> The real problem here, is that with FDW in picture, the "optimal substructure"
> property required by dynamic programming is broken. If A foreign join B foreign
> join C is optimal solution for problem A join B join C, A foreign join B is not
> necessarily optimal solution for subproblem A join B. While for local relations,
> PostgreSQL has to compute each two way join itself, and thus chooses the cheapest
> path for each two way join, FDW (esp. those working with real foreign servers)
> do not compute the joins in two-way fashion and don't need to choose the cheapest

I cannot agree 100% because we cannot know whether A foreign join B foreign
join C is optimal than A join B join C. For example, if (A x B) is estimated
to generate O(N) rows but (A x B) x C is estimated to generate O(N x M) rows,
local join may be optimal to process the final stage.
Even if N-way remote join might be possible, we need to estimate the cost of
remote join for each level, and make a decision whether it shall be pushed-
down to the remote server based on the estimated cost.
The hooks location Tom suggested requires FDW to compute a foreign-scan path
for each joinrel during concentration of join combinations, but not multiple
times for each joinrel.

> A way to work around this is to leave the ForeignPaths (there can possibly be
> only one foreign path per join relation) in the joinrel without removing them.
> FDW should work on joining two relations if they have foreign paths in the list
> of paths, irrespective of whether the cheapest path is foreign join path or not.
> For the topmost joinrel, if the foreign path happens to be the cheapest one, the
> whole join tree will be pushed down.
>
> On the other thread implementing foreign join for postgres_fdw,
> postgresGetForeignJoinPaths(), is just looking at the cheapest path, which would
> cause the problem you have described above.

It might be an idea if foreign-scan path is not wiped out regardless of the
estimated cost, we will be able to construct an entirely remote-join path
even if intermediation path is expensive than local join.
A problem is, how to distinct these special paths from usual paths that are
eliminated on the previous stage once its path is more expensive.

Thanks,
--
NEC OSS Promotion Center / PG-Strom Project
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: PATCH: pgbench - merging transaction logs
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: GSoC 2015 Idea Discussion