Re: pg_dump --split patch

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg_dump --split patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@highrise.ca> writes:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> AFAIK, that applies to parallel dumps of data (may help in --schema-only
>> dumps too), and what you are trying is for schema.

> Right, but one of the things it does is break the dump in to parts,
> and put them in a directory/file organization.

> Both are doing it for different reasons, but doing pretty much the
> same thing.  But can the layout/organization of Joachim's patch can be
> made "human friendly" in the vein of Joel's vision?

I think they're fundamentally different things, because the previously
proposed patch is an extension of the machine-readable archive format,
and has to remain so because of the expectation that people will want
to use parallel restore with it.  Joel is arguing for a split-up of
the text dump format.