Re: Extended queries

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Extended queries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
> However a extended query "Execute" does not return CommandComplete
> (note: ErrorResponse will be returned if an error occurs). Although
> the doc says " Therefore, an Execute phase is always terminated by the
> appearance of exactly one of these messages: CommandComplete,
> EmptyQueryResponse (if the portal was created from an empty query
> string), ErrorResponse, or PortalSuspended", I don't think the
> description is quite correct from observing the actual implementation
> (or the implementation is wrong).

If you can demonstrate that this is not so, I'd like to see it.

> A workaround I found so far was issuing "Flush" immediately after
> "Execute".

This seems to indicate that you may be confused about the difference
between "backend responds with message xyz" and "message xyz will be
immediately delivered to the client".  In *all* cases, you should send
either Flush or Sync before waiting for a backend response, because
only those message types force the backend output buffer to be flushed.