Re: POC: Cleaning up orphaned files using undo logs

От Antonin Houska
Тема Re: POC: Cleaning up orphaned files using undo logs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 10:24 AM Antonin Houska <ah@cybertec.at> wrote:

> > What we can miss, at least for the cleanup of the orphaned files, is the *undo
> > worker*. In this patch series the cleanup is handled by the startup process.
> >

> Okay, I think various people at different point of times has suggested
> that idea. I think one thing we might need to consider is what to do
> in case of a FATAL error? In case of FATAL error, it won't be
> advisable to execute undo immediately, so would we upgrade the error
> to PANIC in such cases. I remember vaguely that for clean up of
> orphaned files that can happen rarely and someone has suggested
> upgrading the error to PANIC in such a case but I don't remember the
> exact details.

Do you mean FATAL error during normal operation? As far as I understand, even
zheap does not rely on immediate UNDO execution (otherwise it'd never
introduce the undo worker), so FATAL only means that the undo needs to be
applied later so it can be discarded.

As for the orphaned files cleanup feature with no undo worker, we might need
PANIC to ensure that the undo is applied during restart and that it can be
discarded, otherwise the unapplied undo log would stay there until the next
(regular) restart and it would block discarding. However upgrading FATAL to
PANIC just because the current transaction created a table seems quite
rude. So the undo worker might be needed even for this patch?

Or do you mean FATAL error when executing the UNDO?

--
Antonin Houska