Re: Emit a warning if the extension's GUC is set incorrectly

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Emit a warning if the extension's GUC is set incorrectly
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2021/12/16 16:31, Shinya Kato wrote:
> Thank you for the review and sorry for the late reply.

> I have made changes to achieve the above.

IMO this behavior change is not good. For example, because it seems to break at least the following case. I think that
theseare the valid steps, but with the patch, the server fails to start up at the step #2 because pg_trgm's custom
parametersare treated as invalid ones.

1. Add the following two pg_trgm parameters to postgresql.conf
     - pg_trgm.similarity_threshold
     - pg_trgm.strict_word_similarity_threshold

2. Start the server

3. Run "CREATE EXTENSION pg_trgm" and then use pg_trgm

When I compiled PostgreSQL with the patch, I got the following
compilation failure.

guc.c:5453:4: error: implicit declaration of function 'EmitErrorsOnPlaceholders' is invalid in C99
[-Werror,-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
                         EmitErrorsOnPlaceholders(placeholder);
                         ^

-            ereport(WARNING,
+            ereport(ERROR,

I'm still not sure why you were thinking that ERROR is more proper here.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center