Re: [BUGS] BUG #14845: postgres_fdw and mysql_fdw can cause crash of instance

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [BUGS] BUG #14845: postgres_fdw and mysql_fdw can cause crash of instance
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Josef Machytka <josef.machytka@gmail.com> writes:
> In this case which went wrong I used postgres_fdw to compare data on local
> and remote database using "select all from remote except select all from
> local".

I think my theory B probably applies then: without use_remote_estimate,
the planner would not guess that the remote table is huge, and that could
well allow it to pick a hashed EXCEPT implementation --- which will then
try to collect the entire remote table into an in-memory hash table.

I don't know whether mysql_fdw has a comparable switch, but in any case
if it wasn't turned on then the same failure mode could apply to that FDW.

I wonder if we should rethink the default setting of use_remote_estimate
being "off".  Particularly as we keep on allowing postgres_fdw to consider
more different plan types, it seems like the potential for stupid plan
choices is getting worse all the time.