Need Advice In Improving Database Disc Usage

От Yan Cheng Cheok
Тема Need Advice In Improving Database Disc Usage
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

We are now planning to move over, from plan text file storage to database storage. However, we do see our disc usage
increasedby factor of 50.

http://sites.google.com/site/yanchengcheok/Home/du.PNG

(1) Is there any need for me to create idx_fk_measurement_type_id and idx_fk_measurement_unit_id

The above 2 are the index for measurement's foreign key. However, these 2 foreign key are only used in JOIN statement,
butnever used in WHERE statement. So, if I remove the 2 index, will I still achieve the same query performance?

(2) How can I increase the compression ratio for my database?

Thanks and Regards
Yan Cheng CHEOK