Re: casts and conversions

От Craig Longman
Тема Re: casts and conversions
Дата
Re: casts and conversions  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-sql
On 17 Jun 2001 21:02:03 -0500, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 01:07:29AM -0400, Craig Longman wrote:
>
> <problem wiuth no automatic float8<->numeric casts>
>
> Tom Lane has already addressed the 'why is it this way' question. I'll
> address your proposed work arounds.

he did.  i tried looking in pg-hackers for most of 2000, but was unable
to find the thread(s).  i'll keep looking though.

so, i presume then that this is a problem in the database because no-one
has sat down and made sure that all the possible combinations of
built-in datatypes are handled for all the various built-in
functions/operators?  or is there another reason for it?  perhaps this
is something where i can help then.

> > the only solution i can think of, if it is possible, is to have a script
> > that the client would need to run to declare the missing parameter
> > combinations for the standard operators.  this isn't very desireable,
> > but it is the only real solution i can see so far. any other
> > suggestions?
>
> Yup, that's pretty much the only way to do this. Either run scripts as
> part of the install, or (if there's a logical place for it in the workflow)
> you could much around to see if the declarations are already there, and only
> run the script if their missing.
>
> > just need to go through all the combinations of datatypes and make sure
> > that every combination is entered in the operator mapping tables?  i
> > guess it would need to be entered both ways also ( int*float8,
> > float8*int )?
>
> I'd test with all the combinations of types you need, then only add
> enough new mappings to get everything working.

this statement makes we think that there is some other reason as to why
ALL the basic mappings weren't included.  does it just slow things down
too much?

finally, can you point me to where i can find out HOW to do this?  i
hope there isn't actual C code to write, but i suspect that there might
be.

as i said previously, if this is simply a case of setting up all the
mappings being a low-priority thing, then i would be happy (?!) to offer
some time to sort that out once and for all.

thanks!

--
   CraigL->Thx();   Be Developer ID: 5852   Check out <http://www.begeek.com/>!