Re: [HACKERS] Raising funds for PostgreSQL

От Aaron J. Seigo
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Raising funds for PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
hi..

> While I have no doubt such an idea for $$ for open source code development
> would fly, my initial reaction would be opposed to it because I think the
> overall effect would be to pollute the long-term purity of the open source
> pgsql development effort by incenting short-sighted development to earn
> cash.  Quality controls can never keep up.  Here's a bit more on my
> perspective...

<SNIP>

> But what is clear to me is that there is a lot of open source decision
> making going on which is in the public's best interest.  I don't have much
> confidence that this would remain so if the proposal below played out.

the solution to this "problem" is probably rediculously obvious, but here goes
anyways:
 only items that are put on the to-do list by the developers can be bid on.

in other words, its stuff we'd get around to anyways... the $ incentive would
merely motivate us to get to it sooner...

hell, you could even put time/quality conditions on it... e.g. feature Y cannot
be commenced until feature X is completed (and if feature X is boring and dull,
perhaps it will sit for a long time undone, unless there are other incentives
(read: $) and therefore prelong the absence of much desired and sexy feature Y).

of course, before anyone gets paid, it has to be accepted into the mainstream
package.

how's that?

the only issue i'd see is that the current licensing scheme provides little
protection to the financial donors' investment (e.g. they could be financing
someone else's commercial development). but that's their problem...

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Sys Admin