Re: [GENERAL] indexed regex select optimisation missing?

От Stuart Woolford
Тема Re: [GENERAL] indexed regex select optimisation missing?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 05 Nov 1999, Gene Selkov, Jr. wrote:
> OK, let's turn from speculations to facts (have just gotten off my
> rear end and verified each).:
>
> 1. '^whatever.*' and '^whatever' are equivalent regular expressions.

yes, sorry, I was aware of this, although I was using .* for clarity and my
mind got stuck in 'proper' regex mode where those are needed.., it unfortunately
has no effect on the outcome here.

> 2. The version of regexp used in postgres is aware of this equivalence.

sure seems that way.

> 3. Btree index is used in the queries involving anchored expressions:
>
> emp=> explain select * from ps where ps ~ '^EDTA';
> NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:
>
> Index Scan using psix on ps  (cost=2373.21 rows=1 width=62)
>
> emp=> explain select * from ps where ps ~ '^EDTA.*';
> NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:
>
> Index Scan using psix on ps  (cost=2373.21 rows=1 width=62)
>
> (ps is a 250k-row table; the result is returned immediately when
> indexed and in about 3 seconds when not)

My point is that, while the index (in 6.5.1 and 6.5.2, anyway) is used to locate
the start of the scan, the system is then index-scanning the *whole* rest of the
table (which takes minutes for my 1.6 million entry table if it is from near
the start), as opposed to using a better 'stop term' to stop scanning once the
regex will no longer be able to match (ie: the static front of the regex is no
longer matching), so the ordered scan is only being half utilised, this makes a
MASSIVE difference in performance.

For example, say one of the words in the table is 'alongword', and there is
also 'alongwords', but no other words with the root of 'alongword'

If I do a "select key from inv_word_i where word='alongword'" it will use the
btree index on inv_word_i, and locate the one match almost instantly.

If I do a "select key from inv_word_i where word~'alongword' it will need to
scan all the records (this takes some time, minutes, infact) - as it should!,
and would match atleast the two entries detailed above.

If I do a 'select key from inv_word_i where word~'^alongword'  it uses the
index to find 'alongword', then does an index scan of the *whole* rest of the
table check all the rest of the entries for regex matching, so it takes a long
time, and returns the two entries detailed above, it will take almost as long
as the previous query.

What it should do is stop as soon as the leftmost part of the regex match no
longer matches 'alongword' because, as it is scanning in indexed order, a match
is no longer possible. The query will then run at nearly the speed of the first
example, while finding the required two entries. This method is extensible to
any regex where there is a '^' followed by a length of static match, as soon as
the static part does not match in index scan order, the regex can never be
matched.

This makes a massive difference for searching large indexes of words when you
want to match a root words and all extensions of that word (for exmple, window,
windows, windowing, windowed, windowless, etc....) - this optimisation (if it
is missing or broken) would make postgresql a much more powerful tool for this
job for what would seem to be a quite simple addition.

> However,
>
> 4. Hash index is never used

makes a lot off sense, hash indexes do not supply ordering information, and are
therefore only usefull for equivanence location, not ordered scanning, which is
required for the regex situation.

> Observations made with 6.5 on RedHat 5.1.
Stuart Woolford, stuartw@newmail.net
Unix Consultant.
Software Developer.
Supra Club of New Zealand.