Re: [GENERAL] Installation simplicity

От Aaron J. Seigo
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Installation simplicity
Дата
Список pgsql-general
hi...

> I've installed and compiled many "source" applications in my life and I must
> confess that PostgreSQL installation procedure was one of the most confusing
> ones.  Qmail was also confusing.  Apache or even MySQL are very simple and
> should be taken as an example.

what _exactly_ is the problem everyone is having? i know on Solaris, there is
the share memory problem. under windows, you have to get Cygwin going. these
seem to be the prices of running these platforms, period.

that being said, i've installed Postgres several times, always from source. i
find that the magic commands:

./configure
make
make install

have always worked just fine. i've rarely had any need/desire to deviate
from the defaults (when i have, its been very easy to accomplish as well). and
this way you get a rdbms that is optimized for your system!

after that, a simple initdb, createdb, add some users, and away you go.

i do agree that postgres administration needs work. the tools given are too
simple, the framework not comprehensive enough. they are workable, but not
Good. (imo) i submitted some thoughts on it last week to the mailing list, no
reponse yet *shrug* perhaps i'm the only one who feels this way...

in any case, i don't think that installing it is hard. if YOU feel it is, how
'bout this: why don't you compile it on your box running your OS and then
package it up so the others who follow in your footsteps don't have to "endure
the horrors" that you have =)  this is open source, after all.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Sys Admin