Re: [GENERAL] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison

От Aaron J. Seigo
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison
Дата
Список pgsql-general
hi...

> Well, we are all volunteers, and the above experience was enough to make
> us shy away from wasting any time trying to work on it.  Also, MySQL is
> backed by a company, while we are all volunteers, so there is a certain
> suspicion that the crashme test has a certain monetary incentive behind
> it.  This suspicion may be false, but we have it none-the-less.

suspicions aside, the motivation of a company is always  different from a
collective of kindred souls. the former is to make a living to eat, the latter
to accomplish common goals.

obviously, the kindred-soul group will not like the approach of a company, even
though the company is doing exactly what a company needs to and should be
doing. its a difference of outlook on coding, life, monetary success...

but no reflection on the products, imo. instead, the final products are. a
company can make awesome software (hmm.... qualcomm's Eudora! =) or crappy
software (MS Exchange Server).. a kindred soul group can.. well, you get the
pic.

> > postgreSQL.  We are targeting different applications.  There is room
> > for us both on the database market.

hear! hear!

> > The only thing that bothers me is that a lot of postgreSQL
> > developers/users seems very hostile against MySQL.  What's worse, they
> > speak 'knowingly' about things that they haven't a clue about.
>
> I think your impression is correct.  There is a hostile atmosphere about
> MySQL.  Part of it was that, in the past, we were worked like crazy, and
> no was taking serious interest in PostgreSQL.  They were all talking
> about MySQL.  Now, in the past 1 1/2 years, we are getting serious

and why? because people were speaking 'knowingly' about things that they
haven't a clue about... when will this behaviour stop to astonish us?

 > consideration.  I don't think MySQL had anything to do with that(except
>being a good product that people liked), but some also felt that the
> crashme test was made to continue that misinformation about PostgreSQL.

the current results seem to reflect this, though i would take it a step further.
crashme seems to be designed to make MySQL look good and everything else look
bad. i don't think its aimed at PostgreSQL. i think its a unilateral "hey,
MySQL rox!" perhaps this is also why Oracle/Informix/DB2 people laugh loudly at
the mention of MySQL for anything (which is wrong, for it has its uses)
but take PostgreSQL at least somewhat seriously.

if one decides to poke the eyes of others, make sure you can back yourself up
with something impressive. otherwise, expect derision. look at
microsoft.

>We certainly would rather not feel the way we do.

so, what can be done? would it be possible to get together and mark out areas
where MySQL is better, PostgreSQL is better and both are equals, then post this
on a NEUTRAL site, linked from each's homepage, as a solid, united OSS RDBMs
front? imagine how powerful THAT would be for OSS. remember, the real 'annoying
guys <SPAT><SPAT>' are the binary-only commercial distributors.

2 cents more. *clink*

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Sys Admin