Re: [HACKERS] Command Locations (was Re: HISTORY for 6.5....)

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Command Locations (was Re: HISTORY for 6.5....)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > One idea, which takes into account the thought that moving the admin commands
> > out of /usr/bin is a good thing, but moving them into /usr/sbin is bad, and
> > we want to keep it simple for new people.
>
> I assume this is only an RPM discussion.  All third party stuff should
> go in /usr/local I think.

You assume partially correctly -- it started out that way.  In the meantime,
the general issue of administrative commands versus user commands arose, and
with it, the administrative man page thingy.

I state things the way I do because RedHat is shipping PostgreSQL as a piece of
bona-fide Systems software -- fundamentally part of their distribution.  This
changes all the rules -- turns them on end, in reality.  While a FHS-compliant
linux distribution that does not ship PostgreSQL would need PostgreSQL in
/usr/local (after all, an OS upgrade could destroy it if it's installed
elsewhere), RedHat needs it in the FHS-mandated locations, because PostgreSQL
is part of RedHat's OS.  And, I am attempting to maintain a peice that is
shipping as part of their OS -- which gives me a slightly different point of
view from other PostgreSQL developers/maintainers.

More information about the RedHat-ized PostgreSQL install locations is at:
http://www.ramifordistat.net/postgres/build-it/README.rpm.postgresql-6.5.1

Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio