Re: Re: What could be the reason for EXTREMELY slow INSERTs?

От Daniel ?erud
Тема Re: Re: What could be the reason for EXTREMELY slow INSERTs?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On the "fast machine", I did a clean install and run my
test-project. This constist of some cpp files and a shell
script to run them.

Anyway,
I totally reinstalled postgres on the slow machine and
there was no difference. Not much anyway. And i've tried it
on both a 6.x version (comes with debian potato) and a 7.x
version.

Could a migrate from 6.x/7.x to 7.1 make a 665->13 seconds
difference?

It's actually a HP server machine.

And by the way, the SELECT test is faster on the PIII 533
than the 400 mhz. About 13 seconds / 11 seconds or
something.

This is really strange... both databases were in other
words just re-CREATEed.

Daniel Åkerud

> Daniel ?erud wrote:
> >
> > 10000 inserts takes 665 seconds on the PIII 533, while
on
> > the dual 400 it takes about 13 seconds (*GULP!*). I have
> > done a clean reinstallation (dpkg --purge postgresql,
apt-
> > get install postgresql) and tried it again. Same
results.
> > Do you guys know what could be the reason?
>
> Are you running the same version on each machine? There
was a discussion
> recently where the first thousand inserts were very fast,
the next
> thousand fast, the next thousand acceptable...  until it
grinds to a halt.

> I think it was patched before 7.1RC1 - check the list
archives for
> details on the discussion.
>
> Oh - you don't have constraints on the one but not the
other, do you?