Re: [SPAM] [NOVICE] backup task target

От Moreno Andreo
Тема Re: [SPAM] [NOVICE] backup task target
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Il 22/03/2017 11:39, Andrea Bonomelli ha scritto:
Hi

How do I know if my full database is being backed up?
I have a script already in place that runs a nightly backup of a database called okay_db that runs this command:
/usr/lib/postgresql/8.4/bin/pg_dump -h 10.11.7.5 --username postgres okay_db --blobs --file ' + db + ' --format=custom --verbose --no-password'
It seems you're running PostgreSQL 8.4, that's way past EOL. If I were you, I'll consider upgrading.
If you just need to know if the backup process has terminated without errors, check pg_dump return value == 0. However, this does not assure you that your backup is "good".
There was a thread about a similar discussion some days ago,
http://www.postgresql-archive.org/How-Can-I-check-PostgreSQL-backup-is-successfully-or-not-td5946486.html

In general, AFAIK, the only way where you can be 100% sure that your backup is OK, so it can be used for recovery, is to pg_restore the file you just obtained into a test database whose schema is identical to the one you're backing up.

In PGAdmin III, okay_db2 appears to be under the main database called okay_db as well. How do I know which one is getting backed up? The whole database or just one into the server database?
So in pgAdminIII you can see all the 2 databases under Server/Databases, right?
As for the command you report in the OP, the one being dumped is okay_db. To dump the whole cluster (so all databases) you should use pg_dumpall, or issue a pg_dump for every database you need to backup.

HTH.
Cheers,
Moreno.

Sorry for the terminology not sure if I'm being clear as this is not my field of expertise
--

Andrea Bonomelli

OKAY STUDIO

+44 207 127 0764

okaystudio.co.uk / twitter facebook

This transmission is confidential and may be privileged.  It is for use by the addressee(s) only. If you are not the addressee or if this email is sent to you in error, please let us know by return to info@okaystudio.co.uk and delete the message from your system.  No contract may be concluded on behalf of Okay Studio email. Okay Studio reserves the right to monitor e-mail communication through its network.