Re: AIX support - alignment issues

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: AIX support - alignment issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> What made me look at this issue right now is that the alignment issue lead the
> 56bit relfilenode patch to move the relfilenode field to the start of pg_class
> (ahead of the oid),

Agreed, up with that we should not put.  However ...

> because a 64bit value cannot be after a NameData.

... this coding rule strikes me as utterly ridiculous.  Why can't we
instead insist that NAMEDATALEN must be a multiple of 8?  Anyone who
tries to make it different from that is likely to be wasting padding
space even on platforms where there's not a deeper problem.