Re: autogenerating headers & bki stuff

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: autogenerating headers & bki stuff
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Sunday 26 July 2009 20:58:30 Tom Lane wrote:
>> The argument about optional stuff doesn't impress me.  I would think
>> that something that's going to be optionally loaded doesn't need to be
>> considered during bootstrap mode at all.  We can just have initdb run
>> some SQL scripts (or not) during its post-bootstrap phase.

> Isn't that exactly what some people are proposing?  Remove the nonessential
> things from the DATA() lines and put them into SQL scripts?

I think what "some people are proposing" is to rip inessential stuff
(say, the geometry types) out of core completely.  Which I'd not be
against.  The discussion at the moment is about whether to have
first-class and second-class citizens within the core set of functions;
and that I'm against.  I think two notations implemented by two
different toolchains will be confusing and not help maintenance that much.