Re: 64bits or 32 bits on ESX?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: 64bits or 32 bits on ESX?
Дата
Re: 64bits or 32 bits on ESX?  (Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch>)
Re: 64bits or 32 bits on ESX?  (Bjørn T Johansen <btj@havleik.no>)
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:45, A. Kretschmer
<andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com> wrote:
>> 2010/1/21 Bjørn T Johansen <btj@havleik.no>:
>> > We are going to be setting up a PostgreSQL server on a guest under VMWare ESX 4... Is there any performance
improvementby choosing 64bits Linux over
>> > 32bits Linux as the guest OS or is it almost the same?
>>
>> How much resources do you plan to give the machine?
>>
>> If you're setting up a very constrained machine with little memory, go
>> with the 32-bit version. It'll use slightly less memory which can be
>> important if you're constrained.
>>
>> If you're setting up a medium size or bigger machine (2Gb+ memory),
>> use a 64-bit version. If you plan you may eventually need to increase
>
> Really? With ONLY 2Gb? Why? What is the performance improvement, with
> 64Bit all pointers and so on needs more memory so i'm expecting lesser
> memory for the data.
>
> I'm wrong?

While the theoretical limit is a bit higher, the fact that you have to
reinstall once you've realized you wanted to add a little bit more
memory.... More important to me at least :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Сообщение: Re: 64bits or 32 bits on ESX?
Сообщение: Re: 64bits or 32 bits on ESX?