Re: BUG #5229: Queing requests when not using psql

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: BUG #5229: Queing requests when not using psql
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
2009/12/3 Fredrik Palm <fredrik.palm@humlab.umu.se>:

> Bug reference: =A0 =A0 =A05229
> Logged by: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Fredrik Palm
> Email address: =A0 =A0 =A0fredrik.palm@humlab.umu.se
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3 & 8,4
> Operating system: =A0 Vista 64
> Details:
>
> I am using a standard default installation of postgres.
> it being set up to accept connections =A0from other servers.
>
> When using multiple psql-client to access the database server from another
> machine the query (select * from table)
> retrieves the content with linear performance according to how many core I
> have (8)
>
> A) When repeating the same thing with for example multiple and different
> php-request from one apache/phpthe queries are bein queeed and executed in
> order and does not use any extra processers avaiable
>
> B) The same happen if I create multiple connections using PGadmin on the
> same client(multple instances as well as multiple connections)
>
> C) If I use different PHP-server accessing the database server, than the
> postgres database is using the CPU that exists.
>
> I think the multiple connection from the same client machine should be ab=
le
> to use different threads on the database-server also for other clients the
> pgsql.

They are. Each connection runs as it's own process. Any chance you
have some weird software that forces them all to be scheduled on the
same CPU? (That's a part of the Windows scheduler, not PostgreSQL).

I guess it's also possible that PHP has some kind of mutex that makes
it run only one in parallel, but PostgreSQL doesn't. To prove that,
try running the comments through "psql.exe"-clients instead of PHP -
that way you can exclude (or not) that PHP is the issue.

--=20
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/