Re: garbage in psql -l

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: garbage in psql -l
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 22:35, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
>> what's benefit of using linestyle=unicode ? I like old ASCII style
>> for console.
>
> Well, I have to grant that it looks pretty spiffy on a unicode-enabled
> display.  Whether that's enough reason to risk breaking things for
> people with non-unicode-enabled displays is certainly worth debating.
>
> Maybe we should just make the default be linestyle=ascii all the time,
> and tell people to turn it on in their ~/.psqlrc if they want it.

FWIW, this patch also *completely* breaks the default windows
installs, which will have the database in UTF-8 but there is *never*
any UTF-8 support on the console (only UTF-16).

So +1 for not making it the default... Or at least have logic based on
the *client* to figure out what the default should be, in case that
can be made consistent.