Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

От dg@informix.com (David Gould)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier writes:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Michael Meskes wrote:
>
> > >     Quite frankly, I want the *core* to be built around a complete
> > > implementation...if someone is really hot on ORBit, and wants to add in
> > > compatibility code so that it will work with ORBit, so bit it...but I want
> > > the *core* to be 2.2 clean/compliant...and mico is the only ORB out there
> > > at this point in time that will allow that...
> >
> > I still think eventually PostgreSQL win run on ORBit on most systems. :-)
>
>     Appendum...why do you use PostgreSQL?  Speed or features? :)
>
>     ORBit is to MICO as MSQL is to POstgreSQL :)

Ok, but I think the other sense of the question is even more interesting:
  why do people use MSQL instead of PostgreSQL?

My point is that while pg beats msql hands down on features, speed is
important enough to a lot of users that they choose msql instead. If we
had more speed, we would have even more success than we do now.

-dg

David Gould            dg@informix.com           510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software  (No, really)         300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.