Re: Best way to "add" columns

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Best way to "add" columns
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@cupid.suninternet.com> writes:
> Marten Feldtmann wrote:
>> The varable lengths columns should be at the end of the row, therefore
>> it does not seem to be good to add an integer column after a varchar
>> column.

> 1. Is this true? Should variable length column really be at the end
> of a row?

There is some microscopic performance advantage if you put fixed-width
columns before variable-width columns: columns that are at a fixed
offset in the table records don't require scanning through earlier
columns to access. But I'd be surprised if you could actually measure
any difference, unless perhaps on tables with hundreds of columns.

> 2. If so, surly postgres can reorder tham internally so that on disk
> they are in the optimal format.

There are notes in the source code indicating that the original
Berkeley Postgres crew thought about this and decided it wasn't
worth the trouble.