One problem with Postgres...

От Mikhail Routchiev
Тема One problem with Postgres...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

    Is there any plan to deal with the problem of Postgres server going
through inefficiencies of the filesystem (because the separate tables are
placed into separate files)?

    If on Solaris, or Sun, there is a big enough table (say 300MB), it
takes 600MB of the disk space, and grows proportionally (2 times!). So we could
observe: 1) loss of disk space, and 2) loss of performance as well, because of
going through file system block search (for big files) may not be very
efficient, compare to Sybase&Co. (they use partitions, and deal with their own
'file system'...)

    Well, one recommendation could be to go with the efficient
filesystem... But I believe it may not be appropriate for most of users.

    If anybody knows how to overcome this problem, please let me know.

Thanks, regards,

--
Mikhail Routchiev ----- Credit Suisse First Boston Securities (Japan) Ltd.
Shiroyama Hills 4-3-1 Toranomon Minato-ku, Tokyo 105 ---------------------