Re: [HACKERS] Suggestions

От dg@illustra.com (David Gould)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Suggestions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Sun, 3 May 1998, Michael Richards wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> > I have a suggestion. I would be interested in implementing it if ppl think
> > it is a good idea.
> >
> > Why not have a default location where postgres writes its log files. The
> > current way of doing it seems to be a little klunky.
> > I have an either/or suggested fix.
> > a) add a switch to specify where the info and the errors files go,
> > /var/log/postgres/info and maybe /var/log/postgres/errors
> >
> > b) write all the stuff to syslog
>
>     b) is the preferred way of doing it...it should just be a matter
> of adding it to backend/utils/elog.c ...

One problem might be that postgres can write _a_ _lot_ of messages to
the log and I would not want to fill my /var/log partition with them as
this would interfere with other logging.

-dg

David Gould            dg@illustra.com           510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software  (No, really)         300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
"(Windows NT) version 5.0 will build on a proven system architecture
 and incorporate tens of thousands of bug fixes from version 4.0."
                 -- <http://www.microsoft.com/y2k.asp?A=7&B=5>