Re: [HACKERS] static assertions in C++

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] static assertions in C++
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11/29/17 10:03, Tom Lane wrote:
> Right now, we have the property that every build enforces static
> assertions, albeit with variable quality of the error messages.
> I strongly disagree that it's okay to throw that property away.
> I do think that we could put an #error here instead, and wait to see
> if anyone complains before expending effort on a workaround.

I guess the question is whether we would rather be able to have users
continue to use older C++ compilers, or be super picky about static
assertions.

In the g++ line, the oldest compiler that supports static assertions is
g++-6, and g++-5 doesn't support it.  I think that is recent enough to
be a concern.