Re: Outer Right Join?

От Mark Wallace
Тема Re: Outer Right Join?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
First problem is the database design is no good.

1. If companies <—> products is many-to-many, you need a cross-reference table between them.
2. If companies <—> contracts is one-to-one, optional, then contracts should be a list of contracts (not of companies), or, if there are no significant attributes of a contract, merged into companies as a status flag or boolean (is there a contract with this company or not?).

It is almost never a good idea to have the same entity (in this case, companies) stored in more than one table solely because of varying attribute or relationship values.

It’s not a good idea to try to twist SQL into compensating for a confused database design.

Note: There is no way that SELECT DISTINCT needs to be part of your solution.

You might want to have a look at a book such as this one:

Cheers,

Mark