Re: Improving contrib/tablefunc's error reporting

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Improving contrib/tablefunc's error reporting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 3/9/24 13:07, Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
>> On 3/5/24 17:04, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> After reading the thread at [1], I could not escape the feeling
>>> that contrib/tablefunc's error reporting is very confusing.
>
>> The changes all look good to me and indeed more consistent with the docs.
>> Do you want me to push these? If so, development tip  only, or backpatch?
>
> I can push that.  I was just thinking HEAD, we aren't big on changing
> error reporting in back branches.
>
>>> BTW, while I didn't touch it here, it seems fairly bogus that
>>> connectby() checks both type OID and typmod for its output
>>> columns while crosstab() only checks type OID.  I think
>>> crosstab() is in the wrong and needs to be checking typmod.
>>> That might be fit material for a separate patch though.
>
>> I can take a look at this. Presumably this would not be for backpatching.
>
> I'm not sure whether that could produce results bad enough to be
> called a bug or not.  But I too would lean towards not back-patching,
> in view of the lack of field complaints.

Something like the attached what you had in mind? (applies on top of
your two patches)

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Вложения

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Improving contrib/tablefunc's error reporting
Сообщение: Re: Improving contrib/tablefunc's error reporting