Re: Number of rows in a ResultSet ?

От Peter T Mount
Тема Re: Number of rows in a ResultSet ?
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Quoting Michael Stephenson <mstephenson@tirin.openworld.co.uk>:

> > I need to know how many rows exist in a ResultSet. I've tried to use
> > getFetchSize() method of ResultSet interface, but a message was
> > displayed "this method is not yet implemented".
> >
> > Anyone can help me ?
>
> You could use:
>   ResultSet.last();
>   int numberOfRows = ResultSet.getRow();
>
> Now, my understanding of this area is a but sketchy, but I think that
> most implementations of ResultSet do not get all of the results in one
> go
> (like the PostgreSQL JDBC driver does), so getFetchSize() is not a safe
> way of determining the number of results returned.

Until about 30 minutes ago getFetchSize() threw an SQLException as it wasn't
implemented ;-)

For normal ResultSet's in 7.1 getFetchSize() will return the number of rows,
but I'd advise you use Michael's suggestion as it's probably the safest bet for
TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE & TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE ResultSets (remember
technically TYPE_FORWARD_ONLY ResultSet's should not allow you to go back after
the .last() call).

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk