Re: Multilingual application, ORDER BY w/ different locales?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Multilingual application, ORDER BY w/ different locales?
Дата
Re: Multilingual application, ORDER BY w/ different  (Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com> writes:
> Would it be possible to make a function in plpgsql or whatever that
> wrapped the collate changes and then order by that and make functional
> indexes?  Would the system use it?

IIRC, we were debating whether we should consider collation to be an
attribute of the datatype (think typmod) or an attribute of individual
values (think field added to values of textual types).  In the former
case, a function like this would only work if we allowed its result to
be declared as having the right collate attribute.  Which is not
impossible, but we don't currently associate any typmod with function
arguments or results, and so I'm not sure how painful it would be.
With the field-in-data-value approach it's easy to see how it would
work.  But another byte or word per text value might be a high price
to pay ...