Re: AW: Proposal: More flexible backup/restore via pg_dump

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: AW: Proposal: More flexible backup/restore via pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA@wien.spardat.at> writes:
> pipes can:
>     compress, split output, write to storage managers, stripe output,

Right, the thing we *really* want is to preserve the fact that pg_dump
can write its output to a pipeline ... and that a restore can read from
one.  If you can improve performance when you find you do have a
seekable source/destination file, fine, but the utilities must NOT
require it.

> I guess we would want two formats, one for pipe, and one for a standard
> directory.

At the risk of becoming tiresome, "tar" format is eminently pipeable...