PostgreSQL is extremely slow on Windows

От Vig, Sandor (G/FI-2)
Тема PostgreSQL is extremely slow on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,

I've downloaded the latest release (PostgreSQL 8.0) for windows.
Installation was OK, but I have tried to restore a database.
It had more than ~100.000 records. Usually I use PostgreSQL
under Linux, and it used to be done under 10 minutes.

Under W2k und XP it took 3 hours(!) Why is it so slow????

The commands I used:

Under Linux: (duration: 1 minute)
    pg_dump -D databasename > databasename.db

Under Windows: (duration: 3 - 3.5 hours(!))
    psql databasename < databasename.db >nul

It seemed to me, that only 20-30 transactions/sec were
writen to the database.

I need to write scripts for automatic (sheduled) database
backup and recovery.

Help anyone?

Bye,

Vig Sándor