Re: pg_dump with compressible and non-compressible tables

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: pg_dump with compressible and non-compressible tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 05/05/2018 12:41 PM, Ron wrote:
> On 05/05/2018 12:13 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 05/05/2018 07:14 AM, Ron wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> v9.6
>>>
>>> We've got big databases where some of the tables are highly
>>> compressible, but some have many bytea fields containing PDF files.
>>
>> Can you see a demonstrable difference?
>
> Very much so.  The ASCII hex representations of the PDF files are
> compressible, but take a *long* time to compress. Uncompressed backups
> are 50% faster.

Got it. The developers will need to comment on whether this is doable or
not. The thing is that this would be a new feature. At this point
version 11 is closed to new features, so you are looking at version 12
which means 1.5-2 years out. If it where me I would try piping a pg_dump
plain text output to a compression program other then zlib(used in
pg_dump compression) and see if you can get better performance.

>> These are different critters then bytea.
>
> Ok.  I need the data in my backups anyway, so excluding them is 100%
> contrary to what I need.

I understand. What I was trying to say was that the blob you are
referring to, bytea in a field, is not the same as what pg_dump is
referring to, a large object stored in the  pg_largeobject table:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/lo-intro.html

So if you want to pursue this feature I think you need to come up with
another name for it to avoid the confusion I mentioned above.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com