Re: PITR Backups

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PITR Backups
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Dan Gorman <dgorman@hi5.com> writes:
>    All of our databases are on NetApp storage and I have been looking
> at SnapMirror (PITR RO copy ) and FlexClone (near instant RW volume
> replica) for backing up our databases. The problem is because there
> is no write-suspend or even a 'hot backup mode' for postgres it's
> very plausible that the database has data in RAM that hasn't been
> written and will corrupt the data.

I think you need to read the fine manual a bit more closely:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/backup-file.html
If the NetApp does provide an instantaneous-snapshot operation then
it will work fine; you just have to be sure the snap covers both
data and WAL files.

Alternatively, you can use a PITR base backup as suggested here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/continuous-archiving.html

In either case, the key point is that you need both the data files
and matching WAL files.