Re: Hardware vs Software RAID

От Vivek Khera
Тема Re: Hardware vs Software RAID
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Jun 25, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Matthew Wakeling wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Greg Smith wrote:
>> A firewire-attached log device is an extremely bad idea.
>
> Anyone have experience with IDE, SATA, or SAS-connected flash
> devices like the Samsung MCBQE32G5MPP-0VA? I mean, it seems lovely -
> 32GB, at a transfer rate of 100MB/s, and doesn't degrade much in
> performance when writing small random blocks. But what's it actually
> like, and is it reliable?

None of these manufacturers rates these drives for massive amounts of
writes.  They're sold as suitable for laptop/desktop use, which
normally is not a heavy wear and tear operation like a DB.  Once they
claim suitability for this purpose, be sure that I and a lot of others
will dive into it to see how well it really works.  Until then, it
will just be an expensive brick-making experiment, I'm sure.