Re: TCP Resets when closing connection opened via SSL

От Jānis Pūris
Тема Re: TCP Resets when closing connection opened via SSL
Дата
Re: TCP Resets when closing connection opened via SSL  ("Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at>)
Список pgsql-general
Thanks for the insight, Tom.

It's fairly obvious from the postmaster log that the client side
is not bothering to close the transaction it started

Thats what I was also thinking, but I've managed to reproduce it with autocommit or commit before closing connection as well.
This is only reproducible with SSL connection.

I've reproduced it with ubuntu package bundles certs, my own created, generated with CA etc hence I do not think it is a problem with certificates themselves.
This happens with various clients, php driver, java driver and also libpq used by psycopg2. We are running a lot of different kind of microservices and thus far I can tell, almost (if not all) of them have this problem manifest.

I can not however reproduce this when doing something like
$ psql "user=postgres sslmode=require host=localhost dbname=postgres"
postgres=# \q

So, please re-think why you are considering them problematic in the first place.

This is an issue because we have a lot of connections being initiated and closed. And this creates a lot of TCP resets.

We could go with something like pgbouncer in front of it to pool the connections in order to reduce the reset count, but this would not be solving the root cause, but merely working around it.

Other than that, this does not seem to "break" anything. This is basically large noise for monitoring and huge numbers of resets, when looking at something like netstat. And by no means, this happens casually.

Has no one expieriencing this ?
Should I just assume this is "normal" and forget about it ? I'd still want to understand what's going on thought.

Med vennlig hilsen.
Best regards, Janis Puris.