Re: random() (was Re: New GUC to sample log queries)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: random() (was Re: New GUC to sample log queries)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 3:55 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 6:39 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> The point here is not to be cryptographically strong at every single
>>> place where the backend might want a random number; I think we're
>>> all agreed that we don't need that.  To me, the point is to ensure that
>>> the user-accessible random sequence is kept separate from internal uses,
>>> and the potential security exposure in the new random-logging patch is
>>> what justifies getting more worried about this than we were before.

> +1, but I wonder if just separating them is enough.  Is our seeding
> algorithm good enough for this new purpose?  The initial seed is 100%
> predictable to a logged in user (it's made from the backend PID and
> backend start time, which we tell you), and not even that hard to
> guess from the outside, so I think Coverity's warning is an
> understatement in this case.  Even if we separate the PRNG state used
> for internal stuff so that users can't clobber its seed from SQL,
> wouldn't it be possible to predict which statements will survive the
> log sampling filter given easily available information and a good
> guess at how many times random() (or whatever similar thing) has been
> called so far?

Yeah, that's a good point.  Maybe we should upgrade the per-process
seed initialization to make it less predictable.  I could see expending
a call of the strong RNG to contribute some more noise to the seeds
selected in InitProcessGlobals().

Сообщение: Re: random() (was Re: New GUC to sample log queries)
Сообщение: Re: random() (was Re: New GUC to sample log queries)