Re: Does trigger only accept functions?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Does trigger only accept functions?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 6/10/24 12:17, veem v wrote:
> Hi, It's version 15.4 of postgres. We have a requirement to have the
> audit enabled for the delete queries on the base table. And for that we
> are planning to have one audit table created for each base table and
> have triggers on each of the base tables to be fired on delete which
> will insert records into the audit table.
>
> But I see the trigger is not accepting the insert query directly, rather
> it's asking to call a function and to put the business logic inside that
> function, something as below. So does that mean, to enable audit on the
> ~50 base table ,  we will have ~50 functions to be created and also they
> need to be called from ~50 triggers? or any other better approach exists
> to handle this?

The below tells you what you need:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-createtrigger.html

That is either a function or a procedure.

You could create one function with dynamic SQL and call that from each
trigger. Yes there would need to be trigger on each table in that case.

As to alternatives:

https://www.pgaudit.org/

--
Adrian Klaver