Re: Chante domain type - Postgres 9.2

От Jan de Visser
Тема Re: Chante domain type - Postgres 9.2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2016-09-26 1:15 AM, Gavin Flower wrote:

> On 26/09/16 17:58, Patrick B wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I've got this domain:
>>
>>     CREATE DOMAIN public.a_city
>>       AS character varying(80)
>>       COLLATE pg_catalog."default";
>>

>> And I need to increase the type from character varying(80) to
>> character varying(255).
>>
>> How can I do that? didn't find info about it. I'm using Postgres 9.2
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Patrick
>
> Why not simply use the 'text' data type?
>
> To change the data type on a column you can use:
> ALTER [ COLUMN ] /column_name/ [ SET DATA ] TYPE /data_type/ [ COLLATE
> /collation/ ] [ USING /expression/ ]
>
> see:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/sql-altertable.html
>

> Note that 9.5 is the latest version of pg, with 9.6 being released
> very soon!
>

> Cheers,
> Gavin

So I guess the answer to the question is:
- Find all occurrences of a_city
- Change the type of those columns to text (or varchar(80))
- Drop the domain
- Recreate with the proper definition. I agree with Gavin that text is a
better choice. Experience has taught me that server side size constraint
are more trouble than they're worth and that size constraints are better
handled on the client side.
- Change the type of the columns back to the domain.