Re: Postgres not using indexes

От Lawrence Cohan
Тема Re: Postgres not using indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
We thank you for the links that have a lots of info and please note that we=
 tuned our servers as recommended by Enterprise DB experts while they were =
in house for our hardware/software migrations and the setting you mentioned=
 are in place already.

Regards,
Lawrence Cohan.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Grittner [mailto:Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov]
Sent: March-30-11 12:45 PM
To: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org; Lawrence Cohan
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Postgres not using indexes

Lawrence Cohan <LCohan@web.com> wrote:

> We have a huge performance issues in Postgres that surfaced due to
> existing indexes not being used

This doesn't sound like a bug; it sounds like you haven't tuned your
server.

For starters, you should check out this page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server

As a quick try, you could issue these statements on the connection
right before one of the problem queries:

set effective_cache_size =3D '7GB';
  -- use 1 or 2 GB less than RAM on the machine
set random_page_cost =3D 2;
-- now try your query

If, after reading the above-cited page and tuning your server you
still have performance problems, pick one query to work on first,
and follow the step outlined here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

Use the pgsql-performance list for performance issues, not the bugs
list.  You'll find more people who will be able to help you with
performance issues there.

-Kevin

Attention:
The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended on=
ly for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confid=
ential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, disseminati=
on or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this informat=
ion by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.=
 If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the ma=
terial from any system and destroy any copies.