Re: pg_indexes doesn't show indexes for partitioned tables - bug or intended?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg_indexes doesn't show indexes for partitioned tables - bug or intended?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> writes:
> David Rowley schrieb am 10.04.2019 um 17:57:
>> Overlooked for PG11. You'll see them in PG12 per [1]. It's not really
>> possible to backpatch a fix for that since these views are created
>> during initdb.

> I don't undertand though why it's not back patched - at least that would fix the bug for new installations

David overstated the situation --- it'd be *possible* to back-patch a
fix for that, if we thought that the bug was of sufficient importance.
But the costs of such changes are way way higher than "change a couple
of lines in system_views.sql".  We would also have to write documentation
about how to fix it manually, along the lines of the first bullet point in
[1], and then users would either have to jump through that hoop or decide
that it wasn't worth it to them (which it wouldn't be, for most).  And,
having different behaviors in different "v11" installations is not really
all that nice, especially for something that's only debatably a bug.
So I concur with the decision not to back-patch.

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/release-9-6-5.html