Re: COPY enhancements

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: COPY enhancements
Дата
Re: COPY enhancements  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Re: COPY enhancements  (Emmanuel Cecchet <manu@asterdata.com>)
Re: COPY enhancements  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Yes, and GUCs allow users to retrofit this approach onto existing
> infrastructure without changing their COPY commands.  So there's
> advantages and disadvantages.  My question was really for the -hackers
> at large: is this the design we want?  Or, more directly, is the GUC
> approach anathema to anyone?

Half a dozen interrelated GUCs to control a single command fairly
screams "bad design" to me; especially the ones that specifically bear
on the command semantics, rather than being performance settings that
you could reasonably have system-wide defaults for.  Could we please
look at doing it via COPY options instead?

It might be time to switch COPY over to a more easily extensible
option syntax, such as we just adopted for EXPLAIN.